- Correct formatting issues caused by broken lists
- PolicyStat Editor
When working with a list of items (A.B.C. or 1.2.3.), all of the list items must be in a single "dotted" line box, otherwise the list will "break" into a new paragraph box and its items will not sequence correctly. For reference, the screenshot below shows a broken A.B.C.D.E-formatted list, caused by the 1.2.3. sub-level under Item D.
Correct Broken List Formatting
- Place your cursor at the end of the last word in the last item in the list. Use the Delete key on the keyboard to move the line of text that was below in a separate paragraph (or dotted line box) to join it with the list.
- Press Enter to cause a new item in the list to be created. Repeat this process until all items are joined in the list.
- Use Indent (Tab) or outdent (Shift+Tab) as needed. Use the Style menu on the toolbar to change the format of the numbering or lettering as needed.
To change the list style (changing from A.B.C to 1.2.3, etc.) place your cursor in the list and use the Toolbar Style Drop-down:
Please note: for best results, the Formatting drop-down menus should be used to create section headings and subheadings. The Number and Bullet list buttons should be used to create lists inside paragraph boxes. After you create a list in a paragraph box with either one of the list buttons, use the I.A.1.a drop-down to format the list as needed.
- To put bullets under a number or letter list items, indent first, then select the bulleted list button on the toolbar.
- Use Shift + Enter if you need to stay within the same list item or paragraph.
- To group items into a list that are separated into paragraph boxes, highlight all items with your cursor and click the numbered or bulleted list.
- To end a list and create a new paragraph, put your cursor at the end of the last item, then press Enter until the list ends and the cursor is in its own paragraph box.
When uploading an MS Word document with an ordered (outline format) list, be aware that it may not be a true list. A "Fake List" is built in a way that can't be converted correctly into PolicyStat. See this article on how to correct this issue: Correcting Fake Lists.
For additional information and tips, please see these articles:
- Editor Resources Page
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- Use the Keyboard (Control + V) to Paste rather than right-clicking with your mouse.
- Hard Break (Enter key) vs. Soft Break (Shift + Enter key) if you want to go to a new line in a list without creating a new paragraph or a new list item use Shift + Enter on the keyboard.
Please let us know if you need additional guidance or assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 317-644-1296, option 2.